Saturday, June 28, 2008

Chassis is done

I got another quart and pint of Por15. I couldn't find the foam brushes at the home store closer to the house, so I got these "chip brushes" instead. Chip brushes as I know them are used to brush the chips of aluminum or steel or whatever from machinery like lathes, mills, and presses. I don't know how many machine shops get these there. Perhaps chip brush is just the term for any inexpensive brush not really meant for painting. They actually work better than the foam brushes because they are more durable; they last until you have to stop. It's only like $6-7 for a pack of 15, so when a session is over you just chuck the used brush. I was able to do about 2 hours more during the week. You get used to the gloves after awhile.

Saturday morning (today) I got to work again. I only had about half a day available, as we are leaving on vacation tomorrow. It was a brutally humid and hot day. I don't know how hot it was and I don't want to. I was going to do this anyway. I still had the front of the chassis to do. I set up a box fan and got to it in the shade of the garage. After all of the top was done, I got out the engine hoist and rigged it up. Just getting that thing set up was exhausting. I raised the chassis onto it's side like so:
I had planned to flip it completely over, but when I got it on it's side, I decided just to leave it like that. I could get to the top rail by standing, and the lower rail by sitting. Very comfy. You can see the places I still need to do on the undersides. It was actually quiet stable like this, and the trans and rearend didn't leak out the vents. I kept the hoist hooked up as a safety. You can see the shade from the house starting to come onto the chassis. As the day gets later the shade moves out farther, I was hoping to use that to work in. I got a new brush and want at it.
I was hoping to get as much done as I could today. It would be nice to have it all done today just because it would be a nice milestone to reach before we left. I worked diligently but quickly to some '60's-'70's music. The neighbors now know that I know all the lyrics to Mountain's "Mississippi Queen", among others.
Almost without warning, a disaster: RAIN. I was panicked that all the new Por15 was getting ruined with water spots, or who knows what. By this time I had the upper 2 tires off, so I couldn't just push it over and roll it in. I tried shuffling the chassis into the garage as it was by alternately raising and lowering it on the hoist, moving the hoist a little each time. No good. The chassis was too heavy, and it was taking too long. Soon the rain was coming down pretty heavy. Not a cloudburst, but pretty heavy. I scrambled for a tarp, but by the time I got it, it was clear that the chassis was covered in water beads. Putting the tarp on now seemed like too little too late. The neighbors now also know my vocabulary of words-of-frustration.
All those little bumps you may see on top are the water beads. With nothing else to do, I just left it. Almost like magic, 15 minutes later the rain stopped, and the sun began to poke out. I got out there and kept going. I was running out of time. Most of the parts I still needed to do really hadn't gotten wet, since they were hard to get to areas. Soon I had beat the shade and was out in the sun, but I didn't care. When I was done on this side, I put the 2 tires back on and just pushed it over until it was right side up. I hooked the hoist up to the other side, and raised it up onto that side. There was actually little left to do at that point. I probably did 75% while it was upright, and another 20% while it was on the first side, so there was only like 5% that I couldn't get to the first two times.
By the time I was done, I had just finished off the quart can. Perfect. I still have the pint for other parts and touch-ups. The water actually doesn't seem to have affected the Por15, so all that worry for nothing. Hoist disassembled; another sweat-dripping wrestling match. I flopped the chassis down, and rolled it into the garage. Done, and all before vacation.
It cost maybe $100 for the Por15, and took about 15 hours to paint the chassis. It was a lot of work. Easy work, but a lot of work. But it looks fantastic. Totally worth it. Of course everything that looks fantastic and is totally worth it is a lot of work.
Some of the front brake parts look useable as is. Next time hopefully we'll start on the brakes and suspension rebuild.
It will be good to have a week away to think about things. Thanks for tuning in, see ya soon.

1 comment:

Kieran said...

Always good to finish an important part of a project before taking a break. In my amateur opinon, I doubt the rain would have any major effect on the POR15. Speaking of your rain story, I have one of my own. I was riding my bike to Goshen yesterday, and of course, when I'm halfway there it starts raining. So I was stuck riding my bike in the rain for the next 20 some-odd miles. I was soaked when I got back.

I would also like to say you write very well. Everything you write appears to be, to me, well, well written. You might be surprised(probably not) what people don't know about the English language. The difference between your and you're, there, their and they're etc. I can't say I've ever noticed a spelling or a grammar mistake that you have made.

Ironically, after reading your comparison of yourself to Derek Jeter, I found out he has the same birthday as I do.

Tell Mrs.K I am expecting, and looking forward to her "blogging" me when you get back. On that note, have a nice vacation!