Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Related- The next race car

I've been interested in many facets of cars over the years. I was very close to going dirt circle track racing more than once. But I feel like I will always be a drag racer. I'm taking a brief hiatus right now, and I plan to sell the Altered when I can; I doubt it would sell with the economy like it is. I do want to build another drag car. But what to build?
-
I know some parameters; mainly, build a 10.50 car. In other words, a car that will run mid-ten seconds or slower (the altered I have now runs low 9's, almost in the 8's). This eliminates A LOT of regulations and hassles (and expense). I really want to get a door-car; a full-bodied car that is easy to get in and out of. But they are kind of big and heavy, I don't like that.
-
Lately, I have been thinking about a more nostalgic and slower altered. In the photo is the Burkholder Brothers Fiat altered from the late '60's. I could do something like this, carbureted instead of supercharged of course. I could have opening doors, and a big wide cage inside; build it like a door-car. Full windows, as required, and make the door windows roll up and down so I don't cook like a chicken in a pot in there. I know small wheelbase cars are squirrely to drive, but somehow I got the Vega I used to own down the track, and that was short too. How did I do it? It was a 10-second car! Slow it down, and it's easier to drive. More competitive too. I did some good racing in the Vega. With the altered I have now, things happen very fast.
-
So that's this week's car-I-want-to-build. Next week it'll be something else, I'm sure.
-
I have to get this electric truck project done so I can get build another drag car.

photo: unknown

Edit:

While I had this post sittin' in draft mode, waiting to be published on Wednesday morning, I remembered that I already made rather elaborate plans for a slower, T-bodied roadster dragster. In fact, the basic kit I was going to use was already on order from Speedway Motors in January, when I decided to build the EV. This would be similar to the Davis & Ingram "Jewel T" shown here, except with the rear wheels moved back about 10". I planned to reuse a lot of components from my current altered. Yes, I would still have the climbing-in-and-out of a non-door-car, but I would make the cage wide, and the slower speed potential would mean less safety gear is required; again, this makes the whole deal more manageable. I already have solutions worked out to solve all of my complaints about my current altered; things like a built-in glove box, helmet holder, removable sun-shade, etc. It was going to be cool. Darn, now I'm really itching to get back to drag racing.

I've GOT to get on with this EV!

photo: Bob Wagner

1 comment:

Kieran said...

I like the photos of the two cars. I didn't realize you built so much. You're getting there with the EV. It looks like you've made quite a bit of progress since your first post a few months ago. At least, it does to me. But then, you know a lot more about this than I do.

I wouldn't mind filling up sandbags as long as I don't have to stick my finger in them for two days like Hans what's his name from Holland.