Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Related- Other EV's I'd like to make

I am constantly thinking about potential EV projects.

My EV friend Steve (Hi Steve) was kind enough to take me to an area meeting of EV enthusiasts a while ago. While I was there, one car that really caught my eye was this Suzuki Samurai conversion. I liked it's small size, and it's utilitarian vibe. Very spartan, very World War II Jeep-ish. I just could not stop thinking about it, and wondering if I really wanted to build the Ford. I realized I do want to continue with the Ford; because the classic deal is more what I'm interested in long-term. So my mind may wander, but I still come back to the Ford.

In my mind-builds, I've been considering Jeeps. The Samurai was maybe too small for me. The newer Jeeps are probably too heavy and loaded with gadgets. Maybe an earlier one would do. So I did a little research on a Jeep I knew existed, but did not know a lot about.


The Jeep Surrey Gala was built beginning in 1959. It came in pink, light blue, and aqua green. The genesis for this was when a resort in Acapulco Mexico converted a fleet of 2-wheel-drive Jeeps for it's guests' use. Jeep later offered these as their own actual model. You can see it's an open-air runabout type of vehicle. The pink is a little feminine for me, but I'd roll in the blue or green.

Here is a shot of the Acapulco resort, with one of their Jeeps. Remember, they did this first, on their own.

I have always wanted to build a beach-buggy-type car. Something I would own if I lived near the beach. Something that is fun, and nimble, and not too serious. I've considered a resurrected '60's VW-based dune buggy, or more recently the early Jeep Wagon (no photo now, maybe we'll get to that one later). But since I don't live near the beach, and I don't know if I'd ever get to live near the beach, it's just a fun what-if, really.

Now I want to build a Jeep Surrey style beach bomber, but as an EV. I could build it with a full removable soft-top and doors for winter (?) use. Again, I like the industrial-ness of Jeeps. Door hinges exposed, hood latches on the outside, almost race-car like in their intentional crudeness. Perhaps instead of the stripes, I'd go with a tropical-patterned cloth top top and seats. Pastel, or sand-colored, or an island graphic paint scheme. Deep-sea fishing pole rack on the front bumper. Surfboard on the roof.

There's only one big problem. It doesn't fit my life. I just don't know how I'd feel about it in the winter, and driving to work, and such. Seems like it would be like wearing a straw sun-hat and white zinc oxide on my nose to work, in the winter; way out of place. It might be too whimsical for everyday use. It's more "Daytona Beach" than "Poughkeepsie, NY".

Of course, there's always this...
...the chicks dig it.

Photos of Jeeps: source unknown.

No comments: