Sunday, June 8, 2008

No progress...it's too hot



I console myself all winter with thoughts of the eventual warm summer. BAM, now it's 95-100 and I'm sweating my A off. I like it hot. But when it jumps 20 degrees to the nineties in one day, I don't have time to get acclimated. It's just too hot to do anything.


I had a lot of other obligations this weekend, helping people with things mostly, plus some projects around the house. Considering this heat, I actually did get a lot of things accomplished. We woke to a power outage Sunday, probably caused by my own air conditioners knocking out the grid. It was just kind of an off weekend. The best I can tell you is I began cleaning out the garage so I can use it for doing work on the S10 chassis. Didn't even get that completed. Just too hot to keep at it.


I was at a drag race last year, late in the year, and it was hot. We were at Lebanon Valley. I hadn't checked the weather. But I should have known it was going to be hot because I had to load some stuff up before I left in the morning, and I was sweating good, and it was only like 5:30 am. I got up there, and made a time trial run. By the time I got back and got out of the car, and out of the racing suit, I was nearly delirious. I was sweating so bad, all I could do was sit in the shade and try to keep calm, and hope I didn't pass out. I drank everything I had. I had to withdraw from the race, and I just loaded up and hung around for awhile.


I decided I would never do that again. I've been to the races when it's too cold, and many times when it's too hot. When you're a racer, you figure, there's other guys doing it, I can do it too. You just like to be there, and you just want to race. But I do it for my enjoyment. If I'm dead from heat stroke, or a heart attack, how am I going to enjoy it? I ain't no kid anymore. I'll be honest and say it; I just can't hack it. I'm more selective now. The same with this project. I'm not going to be completely miserable while I'm doing it. So no real progress this week.

Photo: geomorph.sourceforge.net

1 comment:

Kieran said...

Hot is an understatement. It was above hot, too hot, but I dislike hot weather so that could just be me. I was riding my bike(well, my bike exploded last year on I-90, so not mine)at 6pm and it was still 90 outside.