Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tech- Fabricating a new throttle linkage

Well, I'm back! I know it's been awhile. I've been on vacation, and I needed some thinkin' time. I have decided to press on, at least for now. At this point, I will turn my attention to some projects on the F100 itself. I am going to try to get it on the road, as cheaply as possible, with the gas motor that's in it. I will save the S10 chassis as is for now, until I decide what to ultimately do. All this could change at any time. But first...some ice cream:Carole, I know you try out different ice creams. Try all the ones you think you might like to try. Then try this one last. After this, you will not want any other, ever, ever, ever. I decree it to be the best there is. I will never need any other. Done.

The throttle linkage on the F100 is the most pathetic, laughable, sorry piece of crap that I have ever had the displeasure to see on a vehicle. When I first saw this I literally could not stop laughing for about 5 minutes. I'm serious. I don't know who made this, and how they could have managed to spend so much time and effort and yet have such a poor result. I think the only thing that could be worse is if it was made from a length of string, except that string would at least keep proper tension. Take a look at this gem while I point out its 'features':

First note the material: wire coat hanger. The bends needed to clear the carburetor no doubt flexed a great deal, so reinforcing bars were soldered across the bends to stiffen them up. This actually kind of works. Kind of. You can just barely see in the back the loose bolt connecting to the pedal linkage. The main piece of wire must have been too short, so another was connected to it with a bolt and nut, you can see them just to the left of the bigger curving black hose. From there, the coat hanger extension goes somewhat cleverly through a 3/8 bolt and nut that is also extremely loosely positioned in the carb linkage hole. You can see how much bigger the carb linkage hole is than the bolt going through it. I can't believe this worked at all.
-
Also please note the two throttle return springs, a surprising example of over-engineering, except to say that the rear one is extended to its mount by a length of tiny, tiny wire, so that will be a major subtraction of points.

Here's what I'll use to make a better linkage: 1/4" steel rod, a small steel tab with a hole, a couple of bolts, a couple of washers, and some nuts. The nut second from left is a "coupling nut", much longer than a standard nut; I used this so I had more area for welding. I had all of this junk on hand in the garage.
-
I have been turning the current setting and wire speed on my welder up much higher lately, and my welding has improved immensely. You can't be afraid to turn it up and really blaze with that thing! Man I love welding.
-
Here I have the tab welded onto the steel rod already. I have bent the rod to fit around the carburetor. I am holding the rod in it's approximate position, and I have made a small black mark at the center where the rod must connect through the carb linkage hole.

From here I cut the rod, and welded a length of threaded 1/4-20 rod (really a bolt with the head cut off) onto the end. This will give some adjustment to the linkage. I welded another bolt onto the coupling nut at a right angle. This is the part that goes through the carb hole.

Here is a comparison of the existing floppy linkage, and the new beefy one I made.
It's hard to see the details, but this is really just a recreation of every mid-'60's factory throttle linkage I've ever seen. I made a bushing that fills the carb linkage hole and allows my linkage to pass through snugly, eliminating all the sloppiness. It's just a 3/16" slice of 1/2" diameter aluminum bar with a hole through the center. Thanks for that bar of material, Mr. big blue computer company.


Here it is test fitted into place. You can maybe get a better idea of how it works from this shot. I will take it off and give it a nice coat of semi-gloss black, my favorite, and of course use nyloc nuts during reassembly.

A little artful grinding, a nice coat of paint, and it looks and works fantastic! Best part of the truck. I am not doing it justice by not showing it painted.
-
This would run about $100 (materials included) at Hudson Valley Hot Rods. If I can get this pile running and driving, I'm hoping to go to some local cruises, hand out some business cards, and hopefully get some jobs.
-
More soon, thanks for waiting, y'all.

5 comments:

Kieran said...

Glad to see you're back. Hopefully you three had a nice time in Florida. I was not invited to go to California with my Mom & Sister and our Quebec trip was canceled due to gas prices. No vacation for me. I've been a little bored not having this to look at.

"The throttle linkage on the F100 is the most pathetic, laughable, sorry piece of crap that I have ever had the displeasure to see on a vehicle."

I could not stop laughing for 5 minutes after I read that.

I personally prefer mint chocalate chip ice cream, I did have the Fudge Chunk on the 4th, and it was very good.

I will be riding my bike through the Wappingers Falls(I had to look up how to spell that)area tommorow, and some other Wensdays this summer. I will have to keep close watch for you.

John Kosakowski said...

Hi Kieran!

It is nice to see you are such a fan of John's work. I have to try and keep up with you. I think you know more about the project then I do--but that can be our little secret. :)

If you are really going to be bike riding through our neck of the woods you are more than welcome to stop by--as long as your family knows where you are. They are welcome as well. We probably missed you today--hopefully you didn't overheat.

This might sound crazy but I do miss going to work. I really enjoy it there in Cornwall, and I had a wonderful year. You really did a great job and I am very proud of you.

I hope you are enjoying your summer, and I am sorry to hear that your vacation was cancled and that you were not invited to go to California. Why?

Well, Keep in touch.
Talk to you later,'
Mrs. K

Kieran said...

Yeah....crossed my mind to lok up where you live and stop by but I thought it would be an invasion of privacy. Maybe I will stop by soon. (probably next Wednesday, too far from Montgomery). If you are going to be home that is, it takes roughly and hour to get there from Newburgh(I am working at Mount St. Mary Colg), slightly quicker on the way back(45min) because most of the hills are on the way there. 29 miles round trip.

Speaking of my bike, I was in Goshen and a certain someone(Toni) bellowed my name across the parking lot, came running up to me, and nearly knocked me over.

After look up where you live(I hope you don't care), I went nearish to your house. Maybe a mile or two away. I looped around from the village, past the airport(I could write a storybook on getting across Rt 9), down a side road, and on All Angels Road which is close to where you live according to google earth.

I have no idea how I could tell my parents.
"Where are you going?"
"To my math teacher's house"
Will be interesting to see how they react.

I have geometry to look forward to with you next year. Since math has always been my worst subject, it may be difficult for me, again.

As to why I am not going to California, I don't really know why. I guess because my sister has always wanted to go to California, and I haven't cared as much(My brother doesn't like going on vacation). I'd prefer to go to Europe, but I wouldn't mind going to California. My Mom said she is just going quickly to vist her friend(My mom's friends has the same name as you)in LA, and only got 2 plane tickets. They're going to see Hollywood and everything else they have there.

Do you recognize my picture?

Unknown said...

Hi, I happen to be rebuilding/modifying a '54 F100 and was researching the various ways to fabricate some throttle linkage for it when I ran across your blog. Just wanted to tell you what huge laugh I got out of that coat hanger monstrosity you encountered in your truck. I've run across some really bad engineering before, but that really wins the prize. LOL!!

Unknown said...

Hi, I happen to be rebuilding/modifying a '54 F100 and was researching the various ways to fabricate some throttle linkage for it when I ran across your blog. Just wanted to tell you what huge laugh I got out of that coat hanger monstrosity you encountered in your truck. I've run across some really bad engineering before, but that really wins the prize. LOL!!