Friday, July 11, 2008

Tech- Painted the open trailer

I was looking at my open trailer the other day, in anticipation of using it to bring EV-Steve's S10 down here to help him with some repairs. The trailer was looking kind of shabby; too many winters outside, and too many summers in the sun had taken a toll on it. Fresh from the glory of Por15-ing my S10 chassis, I decided a quickie repaint was in order. This trailer is more like equipment than a vehicle per se, so a finish befitting industrial equipment was planned. I took a trip to the Tractor Supply store in Highland. Man I love that place. You feel like a rough and tough cowboy, or at least a rugged, rural farmer just walking in the place. It's all farmer/man stuff, a modern day version of a general store in the dusty old west. I got a gallon of gloss black truck & trailer enamel. Enamel! Where else could you get enamel paint anymore? The big box home stores don't sell it. This is the kind of stuff a farmer would brush paint on a tractor or something. Real man paint.

I washed the trailer off and gave it the once-over with a floor scrubbing brush. I rolled the main deck of the trailer with a big roller, then went to a 3" roller, and finally a trusty chip brush for the detail areas. Probably took less than 2 hours to do the whole deal and it looks like brand new.
No, this was not a high priority, but it's actually nice to be able to take the time to do a project just because it would be a cool thing to do. If I was still working I would put this way at the bottom of my list of to-do items.
Yes I still have to wash and detail the tires and wheels.

No comments: