Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Some work on EV-Steve's EV

My friend EV-Steve was kind enough to give me some work doing some mechanical fixing on his EV. It is a 1985 Chevy S10 that was converted to electric by a college as an engineering project, and he bought it sometime afterwards. I have been enjoying working on it for him. I have an affection for these little S10's, as I owned one for 12 years and 219,000 miles.Here's my little tip for today: Sometimes I like to set up my little doctor's operating-tool table. It's just a scrap of plywood set on a stand. I use this to set my tools on while I'm working. As I fetch tools from my toolbox in the rear of the garage, I put them on this table so they are handy, yet out of the way. I stand between the car and the table, so I just have to turn around to get what I need. You can lay parts, supplies, or whatever, on the table. On this piece of wood I even have some numbers markered on as notes from some other project.
-
This is WAY better than the lay-the-tools-on-the-car-as-you-work method. I hate doing that. Yes I eventually have 50% of my tools out on the table, but it's still the 50% I need.
-
I redid most of the brake system so far on this truck. Another project I did was to replace the alternator. I had to take some electrical components out to get to it, but it wasn't so bad. Not the worst I have ever done. In this view, you are looking into the "engine" compartment (now motor compartment) from the front of the truck. There is a set of 4 batteries up front.

Behind the batteries is the main component board, lifted up slightly here. You can see the body of the electric motor, it has a slight coating of rust on the outside of the case. As a point of reference, the brake booster and master cylinder are at top right, in their stock positions.
-
I do dig working on this thing. The familiarity of the S-10, and the coolness of the EV. It'll be here for a while, so if anyone wants the 5c tour, come on over and check it out.
-
Talk to you soon.


No comments: