Sunday, May 4, 2008

Going for the frame swap!

I won this little beauty on ebay Sunday while I was away at the swapmeet. I paid a little more that I would have liked, but, as they say, it was just what I wanted (I am saving a lot on the mag wheels, right?). At least it has a lot of miles, so I know it must have run well. Back when it ran.

This is a Chevrolet S10, two wheel drive, short wheelbase, with the manual transmission. I am going to use the entire frame and suspension from this truck. I am also going to use the manual transmission and clutch assembly. I have a huge list of smaller items I can salvage from it for use as well.

I have pretty much committed, at least in my mind, to doing the full frame swap at this point. I know it will look like I'm taking two steps back, to go one step forward. But think ahead to when the truck is finished. Instead of bumping along on a mish-mash of reconditioned '50's era farm-truck technology, it will be rolling smoothly on a late model suspension, with brakes and parts that are engineered from the factory to work together. Probably cheaper, and easy to get parts for too.

I had an S10 for 12 years, and that was a tough little bugger. I really liked that truck, it was a decent compromise for all of the things I needed. If I was doing another EV, I would probably just do a simple S10 itself and get it over with. Something to keep in mind.

So anyway, I have to go get it in Connecticut, maybe this weekend. Just in time for mother's day.

Here's the best part: The crusty but-soon-to-be-trusty mag wheels I bought just happen to have the correct bolt pattern to fit onto the S10 chassis! Good thing I put a bid on the truck Sunday morning before I left for the swapmeet, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am writing, because this is the only way I find out any information. So, the s10 is to swap the frame? Are you going ot use any other parts? I must admit that the s10 looks beeter in person then in the picture. I just might want to have it for my run around vehicle, so it might be back to e-bay for you.