Sunday, April 27, 2008

Related- Scrapping Mom's Geo




First, a clarification: When I said I pledged money to buy the dragstrip, I didn't mean I sent any money. So no worry.

This past saturday, we scrapped mom's Geo Prism. It had become very rusty underneath, so much that it could literally not be fixed any more. Just putting a wrench on any part underneath would unleash a shower of hunks of rust and loose metal bits. It would not pass safety inspection for the same reason.

So we loaded it up, and mom and I took it down to A&W scrap metal on 9D. The place was crowded, because scrap metals of all types are way up in price right now. I explained to her what we were doing; getting on the scale, then they take the car off with the loader, then they put it on the pile. We get back on the scale, then they gave us some cash.
Nice bit of change for a couple of hours work. Mom said she wasn't too sad to see the car go, although I know she was fond of it while she had it.
I think she had fun. As I asked her: "I'll bet you've never been in here and done this before, right?" So I think she enjoyed it as an adventure. No matter what, it was nice to be with my mom.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ahhhh - Must be your type of place. I like the fork lift in the back with the 'racing slicks'.