Thursday, October 30, 2008

Car Show: Fishkill, October 21, 2008, part 3 of 3

Seems like a long time ago I took these photos. It's a lot colder here only 3 weeks later. This is the last of the bunch, so let's get started. 1959 Edsel Villager station wagon. Fantastic example of an automotive icon, and I feel that Edsels have a totally undeserved bad reputation. I'll defend this contrarian view when I do a feature on this car later on.

This '31 Ford roadster is done classic, traditional hot-rod style.


Here's a 1926 Ford with an aftermarket Huckster produce truck body. I'll talk about how specialized vehicles like this come to be at a later date.


This 1936 Ford Sedan sports all the popular "modern" modifications, and would contend for a trophy at any show.


I like the odd and unusual, and it doesn't get more o & e than a 1967 Ford Good Humor ice cream truck, in perfect restored, functional condition. When you see the feature on this, it will knock you out of your seat!



I love these little Ford Rancheros, like this 1961 example, my favorite year because of the grille shape. Would this make a cool commuter car, or what?


This 1961 Chevy Bel Air was in pretty good shape, and the asking price was very reasonable. The '61 was conservatively styled compared to the wild-winged '59 and '60's, but there were still some funky touches. That little lip sticking off the back of the rear window is a rear visor; hard to see here, but we'll take a better look later.


This 1936 Buick custom convertible has many modifications, and the level of detail is first-class. If you have ever wondered what "pearl" paint is, take a look at the blue on this car. That, my friends, is pearl paint.


So many exciting cars...this is a 1958 Ford Retractible. This is a hardtop car, where the roof folds up and retracts and stows in the trunk compartment. All automatic. In 1959. Why? Well, I'm not sure, but this was an actual production car feature. And look at those colors; turquoise and white two-tone. Fantastic!


This 1929 Ford roadster pickup was nice, and eye-catching. But as bright as it is, I became more attracted to it the more I looked it over. Details and details, little trick things you have to study for a minute to appreciate. When I saw on the placard that it was 100% owner-built, I was really in awe of it. Hard to believe someone could achieve that level of finish at home.


I'll finish with this, I believe, 1947 Pontiac, heavily modified and customized. I say "believe", because the info placard was missing. These placards are usually displayed in the windshield, but this one is only 4" tall, so perhaps that's why it's nowhere to be found. I did find "Silver Streak 8" badges on the front fenders, but this was such a wild custom, it was hard to believe it was ever a production car.


This was a really great show, and I hope to have the '58 ready to enter next year. There was fantastic weather, a great location, and it was nearby to home for me. I'm not a big car show guy by nature, but I saw a ton of cool cars here. There had to be over 100 cars in total. I'll definitely be back.

1 comment:

Kieran said...

I'm liking the '61 Ford Ranchero and the '36 Buick with that "pearl" paint.

I would be happy to show you the cars behind my house someday. I would suggest winter also, maybe January or February when it will be colder. The woods are pretty much a swamp and it would be a lot easier if the water froze over.