Saturday, February 13, 2016

How to set valve lash, part 2


Physical inspection:

I got back into the cold garage today. The camera still did not work, so I will describe what I observed. I took the intake manifold off so I could easily see when the lifters moved. My damper has marks at 0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees (it is also fully degreed for probably the first 50 degrees BTDC) so my readings are very close estimates from these marks.
Using my great motor turning tool, I brought the #1 cylinder up to compression stroke TDC (0 degrees). I then rotated the motor through 2 full crankshaft rotations as a 4-stroke motor requires. This will be 720 degrees in total. The camshaft will only turn 1 revolution during the same time.

After turning about 90 degrees, the exhaust valve lifter begins to move upward. It moves up and then back down, resting on the base circle at about 360 degrees.

The intake valve lifter also moves upward just before this time. It moves up and then back down, resting on the base circle at about 630 degrees.


The motor now has 90 more degrees before compression TDC.

So our observations match our expectations. Both lifters are on the cam base circle for about 180 degrees during the compression, spark, and power events. Plenty of time to set lash!

 

Your comments are welcome.

No comments: