Sunday, June 22, 2014

Drivers side quarter panel needed lots more work.

The bodywork tune-up is finding and fixing EVERY little problem before final paint. I shot most of the car in primer, and many of the problems quickly became evident. The drivers side quarter panel is a good example.
 
 I shot a light coat of black paint over the gray primer (the black is called the guide coat) and sanded away. I have to eliminate the 'orange peel', or unevenness of the primer coat and get it dead flat. Any black area left over are low spots that have to be looked at.


I found some badness in this area, so I had to redo some filler work.


It was also clear that the old paint on the top areas had to be stripped off. There was cracking showing through the primer.


Here we have more of the paint stripping done. Some old filler came out so I had to redo that too.


Here are just a few areas that got new filler. There were at least this many more that had to be done after these spots.


Here we have some of the new filler all sanded out and blended in.


 Final work on this area in front of the rear tire. Its all fixed now. I am still going to have to get those chrome "vent" trim pieces off and detail that area.


More blending in of the new filler. Thats all new steel in the fender lip area.


Heres about where we are behind the tire. This area is pretty close. I have to get another coat of primer on it and do another sanding.

No comments: