Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I sold the 58

What can I tell you ladies and gentlemen? The 58 is gone.

I bought the 58 Biscayne some 5 years ago, when the car was 50 years old. I have always held the 58 Chevy to be the ultimate car since I became smitten with a local, hot-rodded 58 Impala when I was some 6-8 years old. It has left an defining mark on me. The original 'Devils Haven', circa 1968.

I bought the 58 as the realization of a dream, or so I thought. The truth is, I found something else. While perusing ebay, I came upon another car I have always wanted. This car was within reach, but I could not have it and the 58 too. The 58 would have required probably another 5 years and thousands more dollars to make it to completion. The other car is a 'done' car. Frankly, I ran out of gas.

I just dont have the income I used to, and as they say, Im not getting any younger. I put the 58 up on ebay and got what I could for it. Fine. Whatever.


Here is the 58 being loaded onto a car carrier, headed for Texas. A very weird event, for sure.


The nice driver, Vladimir (or something) a nice young Russian guy is cinching the car down nice and tight. Funny, that lowered stance is how I wanted the car to sit eventually, and here it is done now.


I took this photo from probably 100 yards away, the 58 turning the corner at the end of my road, and literally the last I saw of it. I will admit to getting a wee bit sad about it.
I feel like I abandoned a friend that was counting on me to help. I feel like this car was counting on me, and I saw a better, younger example, and I just  kicked the 58 to the curb.

But I do think I brought the 58 a long way. I put a lot of parts, money, and time into that car. It really just needed paint and an interior. My hope is that the new owner can bring it along even further, if not to completion. I did the hard work.

I wish it, and its new owner the very best. Perhaps I will own another 58, perhaps not.

No comments: