Monday, December 17, 2012

This is why I don't like newer cars


I own this big white truck that I call "the big white truck". Overall I am very satisfied with it. One thing I do not like so much is that it is too new. It's a 1997, so why would I consider a 15-year-old vehicle new?
Well, for one thing, it has power windows. Man, I hate power windows. I hate power windows because they break, or fail to work, while old style hand crank windows never fail to work. I had a Suburban that I replaced 3 window motors on, and I also had an older Dually that had crank windows, which I loved. BTW, each time you replace a window motor, say goodbye to about $100 for just the part.

Needless to say, the power windows on the big white truck broke. The front passenger window did not work from it's switch. It would still work from the driver's door switch, but this was not real convenient for the passenger.

I replaced the passenger side window switch a while ago, at a cost of about $35, if I remember correctly. This did not fix the problem.
My fellow mechanic friend recently diagnosed the problem down to a faulty window lock switch. The window electrical circuit(s) were too complicated for me. Why a window lock switch is necessary, I do not know. If I'm driving down the road, and one of my passengers feels the need to open a window and jump out of it, far be it from me to curtail their liberty with a paternal window lock switch. So of course I have never used this switch, but it's part of the circuit, so I need to fix it.


I got the new switch, again at a cost of about $35. I installed it, and the passenger window now works from the passenger door. But here's the thing: look at this wiring inside the driver's door switch area.
Is all that really necessary? Just because people are too lazy to crank a window handle? Really?


I'll tell you what the reason is; it's because the carmakers have to justify newer cars and higher prices. See, cars have reached the relative end of their evolution. The new car you can buy today has the same basic configuration cars of 50 years ago had. So to get you to buy new cars, they have to pile on dubious new features. Like power windows. That break. Oh, did I mention that the automakers also sell parts to replace all the stuff that will likely break? No, it's true.
Another look at the same wiring. I mean, really?

I guess I hate power windows because I don't understand their complicated wiring, and yes that is my shortcoming. But I also hate them because I feel they are an unnecessary complication that will cost you plenty when they break. Which they will.

Yes, I am a bit of a Luddite, but I just prefer elegant simplicity. No frills or junk. Form follows function.

Perhaps it's my Scottish heritage, and their disdain for frivolity. Perhaps its my many years in engineering, where parts 'left off' don't fail and keep costs low. Perhaps it's my passion for drag racing, where extras just add weight and slow you down. Likely it's all three factors that shape my viewpoint, and I'm ok with that.

Just don't get me started on sunroofs.



No comments: