Sunday, November 18, 2012

The seal problem solved

By finding a cryptic '72' on the edge of the brake rotor, I did some sleuthing. I looked up various 1972 Chevy inner bearing seals on the Federal Mogul website. The site helpfully lists dimensions. There it was, the seal for a 1972 Chevy Chevelle seems correct! A little more measuring and checking the site leads me to find that the rotors and calipers are '72 Chevelle too.

In hindsight, this makes perfect sense. 1972 was the first year front disc brakes were standard in Chevys. But the spindle geometry for '72's probably had not changed too much from 1958. So the best parts to use in a conversion for '58's would be the ones closest in age, the 1972's. Now I get it.

Here is the seal I need. My local parts store had two of them for me by the next day. 1972 parts are not exactly falling off of parts store shelves, but the point is I can get them, if needed, and certainly more quickly and easily than 1958 parts. I'll get a couple of extras to have on hand, along with inner and outer bearings.  I plan on keeping a box of spares in the trunk, just so I can be self-sufficient on trips and such.


Before you drop the inner bearings in the hub, add more grease. It would be difficult to have too much. Seriously. If you forget to put the inner bearings in before the seal, you'll likely damage a brand new seal taking it back out. Fortunately I did not forget the bearings.
Place a small block of wood on the seal, and pound on it with a hammer. This keeps the seal flat, and prevents you from driving the seal too deep. It's a ton easier than chasing around the outside edge trying to tap it in with just the hammer, which is a good way to dent it and damage it. Sometimes the easiest way is the best way too.


Before final assembly, I painted the calipers and backs of the rotors with satin black paint. They come bare cast metal, so I want to keep them from rusting up and looking nasty.
So there it is, the seal mystery solved, and our brakes are ready for final, final assembly. This is good, since I'm in the mood to bend up some brake lines.

No comments: