Sunday, March 8, 2009

Tech: Alternator swap, part 2 (plus bonus features)

Here's the finishing up of the alternator install. I had to modify the existing generator lower bracket to mount the alternator on it. I welded a piece of metal on it, moving the lower pivot point farther away from the motor.
If you squint you can see the part in the blurry photo above. No, squint more. That is actually a good weld, it just looks like a little ploop-ploop in this photo.

I modified the top bracket as well (see the weld). I don't mind the welds showing. Again, the contour of the bracket is better than it looks, and someday I will grind the bracket and paint it nice, and it will look much better. Now is not that day. I just want to get this thing going for now.
-
That's the existing belt on there for now. I'll get a new, shorter one that will put the alternator more in the middle of it's adjustment, and then a second one to keep in the trunk.
Here's a quickie. A previous owner (henceforth; PO) used a too long, too big spring as a carb return spring, attaching it to the fan shroud. That was only a 50% infraction, but punching a hole in an otherwise unmolested 50-year-old fan shroud with a phillips screwdriver and hammer (I am pointing to the little cross mark) was easily another 50% infraction. Most PO bodges are benign, but this really steamed my vegetables. How cobby. I suppose we are lucky the spring was not longer, or it would be attached to the front bumper. Anyway, a replacement with a proper sized spring, attached to the top of the motor, closer by, solved this problem. No pic. I will undent and weld up the hole when I do the radiator.

Another worthwhile upgrade: New fuel line from pump to carb. The existing line was a kinked, rusty piece of incorrect size tube, with a big ol' length of hose. Using hose is not the worst thing you could do, but it lacks, shall we say, that certain elegance. I bent up a parts store length of straight tube to fit nicey-nice.
Here's how you do it, a tubing bender. I have also used old pulleys of various sizes very successfully. If you take your time, it's not so tough.

New fuel line, topside. Also, new fuel filter. Nothing fancy, a universal type, see-though plastic. If you go for a fancy glass one, it will break someday and spray fuel all over you hot engine, and your car will burn to the ground. That's why I like the plastic ones: cheaper, safer, better.

Fuel line, pump side. Notice the even, factory style bends. Lower radiator hose removed in this photo.

Last one for today. New battery. Advance Auto Parts actually had '58 Chevys in the computer application database, and they had the correct battery in stock. It was huge, so I'm taking a chance on a smaller, lighter one. Yes, yes, I know, no warranty for you! I later theorized that the huge stockers were necessary because the generators were not as efficient at charging, and since I now have a modern alternator, I can get by with this smaller one. We'll see. I made a sturdy mount, rods, and hold down myself. The rods are still long because I want to make a little non-conductive tray that will gang on top and cover the whole battery. That will be a handy tool tray, and cover the positive terminal of the battery, so wrenches and things don't fall on there and cause a massive short. The alternator feed wire is the red wire poking in from the top left there. Done.

Thanks for tuning in, see you soon.

1 comment:

Kieran said...

Sounds like you're getting things done on the car.