Thursday, February 5, 2009

The King is dead...

...long live the King. My Dodge died. The transmission went. Again. The original transmission died 2 years ago, and I had it replaced with a used one at a shop for $1500. Now this one's dead, and I don't think we're going to have it fixed. Too complicated to do it myself. It's problems like this that have kept me from blogging lately.


The car had a tick less than 150,000 miles on it, and I wanted to get at least 200k out of it. It was pretty good to me though, overall. It was the right thing to have at the time.

The engine compartment. I am told there is a transmission in there. I have never seen it. Perhaps the sticker on the engine should be "Doh!"

-

I'll definitely steal the battery out of it, that's only 9 months old. I'll probably give the winter tires on rims to a friend that has a PT Cruiser, and if he wants the 9 month old regular tires, they are his for the cost of changing them to his rims. If any of y'all want any parts, please let me know.

-

For now I am using the white truck. Doesn't get good gas mileage, but it's cheaper than another car right now. My plan is to get the Chevy up and running and on the road, and hopefully use that for the near term. How cool will that be, using a classic car as a daily driver? Can it be done? What is it really like to drive a 50-year old car day-to-day? I haven't done it in 25 years. Back then, I was driving my '68 Impala convertible, and the shift linkage fell off two mornings in a row as I was leaving for work. I was living in an apartment, and only owned a little tool box, so I was unprepared to keep on with it. I bought a brand new S-10 the next week. I am better equipped now, but do I have the patience and time?


If I had to change the transmission in this car, I could do it myself in about half a day. Maybe a full day if everything went wrong. That's old school way; under the car, on the ground, using a couple of floor jacks.
-

On the positive side, I am taking a full load of classes back at college. If any of you need a new accountant, please give me a call in about a year.

2 comments:

Kieran said...

JHKMBA? I think I know what that means.......

Kristine said...

JHKMBACPA :D Glad to have your blog to read again!