Wednesday, September 17, 2008

EV-Steve's S-10 update; it's now rear wheel drive only

In our last episode, Super-Dave came over and helped me get the front axles out, remember? We weren't done.
-
EV-Steve helpfully reminded me to reinstall the outer axle stubs to support the inner bearing races. I disassembled the outer CV joints of the axles and reinstalled the outer axle stubs. Pretty easy.
What was not easy was getting the front differential out. After a few hours disassembly and fighting sometimes nearly inaccessible rusty bolts (you were correct again, Steve) it became clear that the differential was put in the chassis from the top side, before the engine would have been put in above it. It was like one of those bent nail puzzles where you keep rotating the parts, but you can't get them apart because something is always in the way. Bottom line: it was not going to come out the bottom easily. A quick poof-poof of one little bracket with the torch and it fell out. Yes, I not only got a nice new torch tip, I got a spare one as well.
-
I put the unneeded parts on the digital scale I bought for weighing packages right before I stopped ebaying stuff, and the grand total was 95+ lbs. With gear oil, fasteners, cut-off brackets, and rust flakes, call it 100 lbs even. Doesn't sound like much, but in EV's as in drag racing, every little bit of weight removed helps.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ah yes - Super Dave

Kieran said...

It is lighter than me.