Wednesday, August 20, 2008

In with the new

The '58 Biscayne is here. My mom was game enough to go with me to Virginia and back Monday to pick up the car. Only 800 miles, 16 hours of driving. We didn't stay over, we "cannonballed" it right back after loading up the car. It wasn't so bad, she is an excellent navigator, and having company made the time fly. We only had one close call with a freight train.
The car is in decent condition. It is both better and worse than I expected, depending on where you look. I think most people would consider it "rough", but I'm up for the challenge.

" Looks good from far, but it's far from good", as the joke goes.


Custom trunk securing device. This was necessary because every little piece of trim from the interior has been taken out and is laying in the trunk floor. Under normal circumstances I would have passed on this car, since much of it had been taken all apart, and it needs so much work, but what can I say, I really wanted it. It's like I bought the car a total rookie would buy. I don't care.
k seems to think it's just fine...

...K is not impressed with the dead bugs and other debris.

The car did come with a complete new fuel tank, sending unit, tank straps, and all new stainless steel fuel lines, which I promptly installed. This was a $500 bonus. The car fired right up and ran decently. The car also had all new floor pans installed in the interior, about a $1000 bonus, and the work looks to have been done well enough that I don't need to re-do it. New trunk floor pans came with it, they need to be welded in. I can do that.
-
The car is very solid, just like the F100 was. By that I mean that the frame, underbody, and most body panels have at most a light surface rust, no deep scaly rust or rust-through. This is important, since that is the foundation you are literally building upon. If that stuff is bad, nothing else you do will be worth anything. I have a lot of modifications planned for this car, so I won't feel so bad modifying it like I would have with a better car.
-
It looks like the focus of the blog will be changing a bit. I don't know when I am going to be able to get back to the EVs. But what can I say, this is the car I have always wanted since I was a little kid, and I'm not getting any younger. I hope I will still be able to keep this interesting enough to keep you tuning in. Thanks for your interest everyone.

2 comments:

Kieran said...

That was quick. I thought it would take you some time, but I guess not. It looks good in the pictures, although that means absolutely nothing. I like the license plate, it adds a nice little patriotic touch.

Unfortunately, for k, it may be a few more years before she has her hands on a steering wheel again.

PS-I am looking for feedback on my new picture.

Unknown said...

I wouldn't be worried about keeping your blog interesting enough. I "tune" in every day and I'm not even interested in cars - you manage to make it entertaining enough to overcome my disinterest in your subject matter! :-) Cool new car.